The small entrance to the Anderlecht Béguinage emphasizes the intimacy of a place that could only accommodate eight beguines, members of a lay Christian sisterhood. The building, dating from 1525, overlooks an internal courtyard enclosed by two rows of houses and a well. The ground floor of the dwelling is made up of several small rooms filled with furniture belonging to the beguines, a chapel and an 18th or 19th century confectionary shop. On the first floor there is a display documenting the rural, corporate and social life of Anderlecht. Above this the museum shows its collection of archaeological finds from the Roman and Frankish eras. The exhibition on the top floor is of paintings and engravings created during the building of the Charleroi canal at the start of the Industrial Revolution.
Photos and videos
Bus49 46 N13 T81 233b